This module focuses on preventative care for your patients with asthma. The module provides and overview of potentially modifiable risk factors for flare-ups such as high SABA use, comorbidities, and exposures, and explores management strategies and brief interventions that participants can implement with their patients. Practical tips are included for GPs working in rural and remote areas, as well as for those working with culturally diverse populations.
On completion of this education activity participants will be able to:
- Recall risk factors for adverse outcomes in asthma, including flare ups and hospitalisation due to asthma.
- Prevent asthma flare ups through proactive identification and management of modifiable risk factors.
- Recognise important contributing comorbidities for poor asthma control and determine best practice approaches to address them.
- Implement brief interventions to encourage patients in lifestyle change to maintain and improve asthma control and reduce risk of flare ups.
- Refer patients for specialist care of comorbidities when appropriate.
Hours: 1 | RACGP: 2pts | ACRRM: 1hr