Trelegy Ellipta 200/62.5/25 (fluticasone furoate/umeclidinium/vilanterol) is a combination preventer inhaler available by prescription only under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme for adults 18 years and over with severe asthma (listed April 1, 2022). Containing three different types of medication, it is sometimes called a triple therapy combination preventer. Trelegy Ellipta may be prescribed and subsidised for people who:
- Have experienced a serious flareup in the previous 12 months which required treatment with corticosteroid tablets or injection
- Are already using optimum asthma preventer medicine
- Have had their device technique assessed
- Have been assessed for appropriate adherence to their preventer therapy.
Trelegy works in two ways due to the action of its three active ingredients:
- Umeclidinium and vilanterol: both work together to relax the muscles in the airways. This helps to open the airways and makes it easier for airflow in and out of the lungs. When taken regularly, they help the airways to remain open.
- fluticasone furoate: reduces the swelling and irritation in the small airways in the lungs and so gradually eases breathing problems.
USING TRELEGY ELLIPTA
Trelegy Ellipta 200/62.5/25 is a new addition to the list of combination preventer medicines.
Trelegy is prescribed for use once a day and needs to be taken regularly to be effective. It should not be used to relieve a sudden episode of breathlessness or wheezing
- It is a single daily dose regimen due to the long lasting effects of the medicines it contains.
- It is delivered by the Ellipta device which may be a new device for people with asthma.
HOW TO USE THE DEVICE
To understand more about severe asthma, please visit our severe asthma hub.