WEST AND SOUTH GIPPSLAND: Asthma Australia is urging people with asthma or hay fever to stay inside, with a high forecast of an Epidemic Thunderstorm Asthma event happening today, Monday 30 October.
The Victorian Health Department released the warning at 11:38 this morning.
Schoolchildren and outdoor workers should be made aware of this warning, immediately.
Thunderstorm asthma is a life-threatening event that can affect a large number of the population.
Asthma Australia’s advice is as follows:
- Go inside and close your doors and windows and use an air purifier with HEPA filter if you have one.
- Keep your asthma reliever on hand OR know how to access this medicine if your loved one has asthma.Use your hay fever medicine normally, as recommended by your pharmacist or doctor
- Follow your written Asthma Action Plan.
- Never ignore asthma symptoms like breathlessness, wheezing and tightness in the chest. Start Asthma First Aid immediately and call Triple Zero (000) for help if symptoms do not get any better or if they start to get worse.
- Keep up to date with weather alerts and advice in your local area.
Direct people to asthma.org.au for asthma first aid.